Monday, June 20, 2016

Big trip north

Sunday June 12 thru Saturday June 18, 2016

Deidre had a doctors appointment in Durham on Monday so we headed north after breakfast on Sunday. The doctor's visit went OK so after lunch we headed towards Cleveland. We were in no hurry so stopped for the night in Marietta, Ohio. Its a very pretty and historic little town. I took advantage of the long summer afternoon by getting my steps along the path following the Ohio River.

That evening we enjoyed a pleasant meal on a veranda overlooking the river. Was a perfect balmy evening.



We arrived at Adam's house in time to head off to one of Indy's many baseball games. Adam is the couch.  (Actually, as Deidre reminds me, he is the "coach"!)





Wednesday the kids went with friends to the Cedar Point amusement park so Deidre and I spent a nostalgic day wandering around our old neighborhood, followed by dinner out with Kathy and Adam.

Whenever I had some down-time I walked around the local Cleveland Heights suburbs to get my steps. The "old money" in the form of beautiful homes and mansions in this part of Cleveland is just amazing. They were mostly built in the early 1900's and in general have been well maintained. I took lots of photos.










Thursday we took the kids on a picnic and in the evening watched the Cavs beat the Golden State Warriors and even the series. Much excitement in Cleveland!



Friday was my birthday. It was also Ruby's dogs birthday ("Leo") so Ruby had organized a dog birthday party and invited the local mutts, and me. Grandma Deidre helped her cook some "dog muffins" for the party, and Ruby agreed to bake some "Grandpa muffins" for me. I felt very spoiled.



On Saturday we made a late start for the 725 mile drive back to Charleston. Another beautiful day all the way. Home in bed on Tide Hiker at about midnight.




No comments:

Post a Comment