Saturday, September 3, 2016

Arncliffe Arms" at Glaisdale (This was the day the blog got confused)

September 3, 2016

Today we expected to walk about 18 1/2  miles from Great Broughton to Glaisdale. Late mid morning we crossed a railway line while walking thru a little village and to our delight saw a  delightful old steam engine chuffing away in the railway station. Turns out this was one stop of an historical railway line running to the coast at Whitby.



I was very excited at this prospect because:

A. Mason is totally enamored by Thomas the tank engine
B. I like trains too
C. Whitby was captain Cook's home port.

Fortunately the "events committee" agreed we should ride to Whitby for lunch so I did not have to go it alone. The train was not expected for a while so I got busy making videos for Mason (I showed them to him on Sunday and he was apropriately impressed.) The ride was fun - I made sure that I put my head out of the window to get soot in my eyes, to complete the nostalgic experience.

Whitby turned out to be a busy little tourist town full of English people enjoying summer vacation in the rain. The group found a place WHERE ALL 10 OF US could eat fish and chips together (lots of separation anxiety) I have not had fish and chips for 10 years and now I am OK for another 10 years, maybe more. The Australians among us (including one traitor, who shall not be named) visited the captain Cook museum.


The Captain Cook Museum

English people in summer cloths



Its a bit of a soggy harbor

The lady in blue was from Russia (no coat)






No comments:

Post a Comment