Saturday, April 21, 2012

Umbrella Creek 31 00.934 N 81 27.720 W

We tried to leave Fernandino yesterday but had a problem with recovering the dinghy. Like a lot of things related to living on board, lifting and stowing the dinghy is "a bit of a project". Methinks the dinghy is a bit big for the crane, so the lifting and stowing involves a bit of sweat and effort. (When we get to Charleston, I think I will take the davit to an engineering shop and add about a foot to the end of the arm.)

To make a long story short, we attempted to recover the dinghy before departing on Friday, but the hoist on the davit gave up with the job only 90% done. So after an hour or so of messing about, I called the marina and asked if we could "borrow" a dock for an hour or so, so that I could round up a bunch of the MTOA people and get the problem solved.

They answered in the affirmative, but assigned us a dock way in the deep recesses of the marina. We "wended" our way in and found the dock and some boaters took our lines. But from that moment I was thinking about how we would get out without wiping out some boats and docks along the way.

Sunset 
A few minutes later we had 4 "consultants" on board and after an hour or so the problem was solved. (The integrated GFI was wet - we cut it out!). By then it was Noon and it seemed late to start (we had missed the tide, and I was worried about my exit) so we took the dock for the night. Deidre made a pork loin roast for dinner, we had the AC on all night - luxury!

Slack water was at about 9:30 AM so that was our ETD for Saturday. But Deidre needed supplies and was offered a ride to the market, so she set off early while I prepared - mentally and physically - for our departure. I had a chin scratching meeting with a couple of other captains (I like the sound of that word - in general boat people call me "Cap") and we had a plan.

Deidre was back by 9AM and I tried to start the engines. I say "tried" because the starboard engine did not respond from the bridge. I visited the engine room and started it from there. I was not going to postpone another departure, especially since I had sucked up all my courage for our departure maneuverings. Have to sort that problem out later.

Our boat is 49' long and weighs 30 tons and the "bridge" is 16' off the water - certainly not a "tinny" by any means. To get out, I had to drive the boat sideways off the dock for about 10 feet, back it down half a boat length, execute a 120 degree turn in reverse, move a boat length forward and do a 70 degree turn left in another boat length. Half the "boat people" had come out to watch. There was lots of clapping and cheering as we missed everything and everybody, and headed out the fairway. On our way at last.

RED 32 - In the Atlantic!
Today's 4 hour run was uneventful. It was a clear morning with not much wind. The only excitement was "heading out into the Atlantic" to make the turn at "RED 32" in the mouth of one of the large Georgia sounds. There was a bit of a swell, but not much else.

The intra-coastal in Georgia is not well maintained. There are currently 4 alerts for shoaling that we can only avoid at high tide. Plus we expect a storm tonight with lots of rain, so we have holed out in Umbrella Creek for the rest of the day. It is well protected and the right depth, and we can make departure tomorrow that is co-ordinated with the tide. We are getting better at anchoring, and we did a good job this afternoon, except that I forgot a basic step (loosening the capstan) that could have caused a problem in more difficult circumstances. Maybe next time!

Umbrella Creek (and my new WiFi aerial)
Umbrella Creek is very isolated. Apparently this is typical Georgia coast line - quite different than Florida. Basically all marsh, tidal creeks and rivers. Florida's coastline is heavily developed - Georgia's not at all.

We will be in Charleston in a few days. So I have rented a dock in the IOP area for a month, starting May 1. Deidre is flying "home" for 16 days to visit her Mum and Dad. I will spend the time working on the boat and visiting Ky and Ryan. What's the hurry?


2 comments:

  1. I am exhausted already but love the photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M. We got a good night sleep in Darien. Sunny today but still windy. Bob

      Delete