Friday, August 19, 2016

Carlisle, UK

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Today we drove from our B&B to Dulles Airport area near Washington, DC. It was a long (exactly 500 miles) but otherwise uneventful day. The temperature were in the 90's all day, but at about 9 PM a big thunderstorm took off a few degrees.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Deidre's flight was at 12:50 PM and mine was at 5:20 PM.  I dropped Deidre off at the airport at about 10 AM and drove the car to a long term parking location about 5 miles from the airport. The traffic and navigation in DC is a pain, but all went well and I was back at the airport by 11:00 AM. My Aer Lingus flight did not "open" until 1:30 PM so I sat around and killed 2 1/2 hours. I was second in the line so was "inside" by 2:00 PM but with another 3 hours to kill before boarding started. International air travel is just a drag! Deidre had texted me when she was in her seat.

Friday, August 19, 2016

The flight to Dublin was pleasant enough, but we arrived about an hour early at about 5:00 AM. My connecting flight was not until 10:00 AM so had another 5 hours to kill. Breakfast, two newspapers and 1/2 a book later I was on my way again. The weather in Dublin was atrocious - cold in the low 50s with rain and gusting winds. I was in a tee shirt and shorts - it was 80 plus when we drove to Dulles airport. The plane was a small commuter plan and there was no protective ramp - we just stood on the runway in the rain, cold and wind like dummies.

My impression of Dublin airport was about as hot as the weather. It was busy, not organized the way I expected and my gate and flight did not seem to appear until late in my visit. When I was having breakfast I actually moved a couple of time to avoid seeing the locals eating their breakfast. Until today I thought that a class of Americans had the worst table manners in the world.

Summer's day at Dublin Airport

The weather in Manchester was not much better. When I picked up my bag it was immediately apparent that it had been left unprotected in the rain. Half the contents were wet. But I loaded on layers of clothing and rain gear and headed for the railway station. The station was right in the airport building. My train waiting for me and I took my FIRST CLASS seat and settled in for the 2 hour ride. I was immediately offered tea or coffee and a "Scotch Egg" - one bite and I was over that!

The train was great. It was fast and only stopped every 30 minutes or so. We were in Carlisle right on time at 2:11 PM. Of course it was still raining, but now I had my gear and went hunting for a phone store to get a new SIM card. It was a bit of a wait but the result was effective and reasonably priced, and the lady clerk was really nice. Next found a Barclays and got some cash, then off to a pub to spend some of my new cash, and make contact with the family. I was at the B&B by 4:30 PM and have since showered and unpacked. The house us relatively new and well kept but pretty "compact".

The train at Carlisle 

Dinner at one of the many local pubs. Bed shortly after 9 PM.

My favorite pub so far


Miscellaneous observations to date:

1. After an unpleasant 5 hour observation period in Dublin, I have reluctantly concluded that Irish table manners are worse than American! I did not think it was possible.

2. That English people are universally pleasant and helpful. A young man offered me his seat in a crowded airport bus. I was so shocked I wanted to challenge him to a 100 yard dash or arm wrestle!

3. But also that English people seem to be washed out and almost invisible
          * Their hair is universally mousy and unkept. Many are bald.
          * Their faces seem doughy, faded and nondescript
          * Modern dentistry is obviously non existent
          * They all seem to borrow ill fitting and nondescript used grey and black shapeless clothing, maybe from thrift shops?

(I feel bad for the police when they ask for a description of a bank robber: "He was an ordinary looking bloke with mousy unkempt hair and dirty teeth wearing black or grey ill fitting clothing with dirty shoes".)

4. That "Global Warming" has not reached the British Isles.

5. No close calls yet, but I definitely do not know where to look when I cross the road.

What English houses always seem to look like

Saturday August 20, 2016

Great day today in the wind and rain.

Walked back into town to the phone store as I had some issues. Seems they resolved them.

Saturday was some sort of "market day" and there were a bunch of stalls and a 12 person guitar band in the band stand. Quite a pleasant crowd downtown. Bacon sandwich and a "milky coffee" for lunch followed by a strange pageant at 2 PM. Then to the local museum to learn all about the Roman occupation and the raiding Scottish tribes thru the ages. Back to the phone store.

12 piece guitar band. They seemed to play mostly Johnny Cash music

Withstood the Good King Charlie's army for 6 days? Or was it the other way around?

I am sure the character in the pageant had some historical connection, but I sure could not fathom what it might have been.





Like all successful politicians, the mayor participated.








1 comment:

  1. Interesting reading Bob. Hope u get some dry days soon best wishes Graham

    ReplyDelete