Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Reeth

Tuesday August 30, 2016

Pretty easy day today as we walked East down a lovely valley out of the Penines. It was only about 18 kms but we seemed to make it longer somehow. "As usual" the weather was great - mix of cloud and sun and some wind when we are on a ride - but no rain.

After the hard day yesterday my preference was to follow the river down, and that was agreed at breakfast, but the navigation team seemed to mess it up a bit and we ended up climbing at least 1,000 feet over a couple of ridges.

The scenery all the way just seemed to be straight out of a picture book, The England we have seen on this trip can be really attractive.

We stopped at a pub for lunch - we have not been able to do that before so were quite looking forward to the idea. The service and food was dreadful, but the beer was OK.






Julie and Bryce




This old guy just wanted to chat. Richard and Bryce.
Equipment Update

Walking poles: A gift from David and Jen. They are great! I literally would not have made it this far without them.

Rain coat: My new rain coat works great. It does not breath, and so is sweaty, but it keeps the rain out

Rain pants: Also a bit hot and a bit long but work fine.

Gaiters: The gaiters I purchased were too wimpy so I bought a 12" set on the road. They did a great job in the bog.

Back pack: Is probably a bit small as I need to carry all my rain gear plus a bunch of other stuff. Was generally OK until the camel broke.

Blister kit: I am greasing up my feet morning and night. So far I am wrapping 3 toes and probably will protect 4 tomorrow. The Paw Paw grease is doing a good job. I am using liner socks under my hiking socks. I now have a blood blister on one toe that I will tape in future. My left ankle hurts but not too much.








No comments:

Post a Comment