Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Richmond

Wednesday August 31, 2016

Easy 12 mile walk - just for a change we made it in the prescribed 4 hours, leaving about 8:45 AM and arriving about 1:30 PM. (The distances on the country paths have proven to be a bit of a mystery.) Today's walk was a bit of a stroll with only a few ridges to climb over. I am at the point where I am finding a climb easier on my feet than a steep decline.

Our B&B is a nice old house that has been tastefully renovated. After a quick shower Bryce and I walked into the old town, had a bit of lunch and toured the castle. We then ran into some walking companions and had a 1/2 pint and a pie in a pub for lunch. The "retail rules" we run into here are a bit funny. Reminds me of Deidre's and my "We don't do butter" story. I wanted my pie reheated - "We don't reheat pies" was basically the reason. We had stopped in a cafe a bit earlier, with a similar answer" "We don't reheat the soup after 2:30". They are a strange mob.

We have a big walk tomorrow over the moors - I think 22 miles.



Taking a break



Richmond in sight

Our fancy room

The keep at the castle

Inside the castle


Great Hall inside the keep

Views from the castle


No comments:

Post a Comment