Sunday, April 9, 2023

DAY 3: AVIGNON and UZES

 Saturday April 8, 2023

We all slept well, I managed 11 hours straight! 

We wandered back into Avignon for breakfast ("petit dejeuner") and for a walk through town. Avignon is a walled city and amazingly beautiful. It was a cool but sunny day. What a charming place. We were all totally enamored. We will go back.





I had promised our Uzes landlord that we would present ourselves outside our new home at 2:00 PM to be shown around and get the keys. He seemed to be a bit of a stickler, so I felt we needed to get going and be on time. Our wanderings in Avignon had taken us quite a way from the hotel, so we found a seat in the sun for the ladies and I trotted back to the hotel and picked up the car.  

The drive to Uzes was just as charming. But as we neared the center of town the streets got smaller and the car grew larger. Kylie was navigating on Google, who thinks that a street is plenty wide for a car and the people and the shops, but in Uzes that is not necessarily the case. Things go so hectic that Kylie got out of the car and cleared the way ahead of us and warned me front door steps, merchandise and people sitting on the "road" drinking coffee. Some of the "roads" were so narrow I had to fold in my side mirrors to avoid downspouts..

The landlord had appointed a young lady to greet us - Sabrina. It was a a bit hectic, but me made it (15 minutes late) and Sabrina was waiting for us on the stoop.  We are delighted with the house. 





Turns out I have to park the car "on the street". Sabrina directed me a few blocks "north" and we found a vacant spot. We walked back to the house thru the narrow streets. I have to wonder if I will ever be able to find the car again!

The "apartment" is about 15' wide, two rooms and the stairwell deep, with 5 levels. (I will call them G (Ground) 1. 2, 3, and 4.) In total there are 4 bedrooms, one bathroom, kitchen and living room. There are two patios - one on level 1 and one on level 4. Good roof views. Its ancient but in good shape. 

Our "street" is about 12' wide (less any downspouts or door steps.)

We planned to go out to eat, but we definitely needed coffee and supplies so Kylie and I headed off to visit the nearest supermarket (Aldi) about 2 miles away. We could have driven, but a) where was the car? and b) even if we found it, I was unsure I could ever find another parking spot as they were rather sparse, and c) I needed the steps. So we walked. It was an Aldi, but it would not make it in the USA, but they did have decaf coffee. 

Our next door neighbor is a Thai restaurant. So that is where we went for dinner.

That is our door on the RHS with two front steps



No comments:

Post a Comment